What is the second method lama proposed?
Count the breath until you are distracted, then start again.
What are two important obstacles you must be aware of and recognise during meditation?
Agitation and drowsiness
What does the obstacle of agitation in the meditation mean?
Agitation is a wandering mind: your mind is too much scattered. Not in one place: just moving, generating thoughts. How did you notice agitation manifest in your own experience?
What should you do if you notice your mind is wandering, scattered or generating thoughts?
- Then you have to recognise it. Try to recognise this as soon as possible, then come back to the breathing as soon as possible.
- It means: we should not really stay with the agitation. Then the mind will get used to it and that is not very helpful.
What is the obstacle of drowsiness during meditation?
It means there is no clarity in your mind, it’s not clear.
What should you do once you have recognised the obstacle of drowsiness in your meditation?
- Then again you have to recognise it is not clear.
- Then you put more focus on your breathing.
- It means: we should not really stay with the drowsiness. Then the mind will get used to it and that is not very helpful.